Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Artefacts - Skype Call 20/04

As this was a module 3 focused Skype call we spoke about  a few things that were concerning us as we near the deadline date. The two main things were the artefact and the oral presentation. As I finished my artefact breakdown essay this morning and have now officially completed my artefact; I thought I would mainly focus on that and the write about the oral presentation when I get to it later in the week. 

Through the discussion we identified that an artefact is a way to communicate something in a creative manner. This will vary per person and doesn't have constraints. Helen mentioned the thought process behind having us create an artefact was to be able to communicate our thoughts, feelings and experiences in something different to the written word. As part of the module 3 process is writing an inquiry-based essay, an artefact is a great way to communicate our findings to people in a way that wouldn't require them to read pages of theory. In other words - its a different way to express our position. 

This can be expressed through dance or creating physical objects - like what I have done. I have found this journey to be very like putting together pieces of a puzzle. Therefore the artefact I have created is a jigsaw puzzle with various images to represent my professional practice and BAPP journey. 

Last year Adesola shared a video of Peggy Oki who creates curtains of origami whales to represent her fight for awareness. She uses it as an opportunity to educate people on the dangers these dolphins and whales face from commercial whaling whilst creating a physical token that represents a living animal. Each origami whale represents a real whale that has been killed from whalers. It shows the power a simple artefact can have. 

I've attached a link to a video explaining the way she has used these whale curtains as an artefact for her journey. I hope this helps! 




3 comments:

  1. So interesting and very helpful, thank you Cathleen. The puzzle sounds a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cathleen,
    I'm on module one and so it's really interesting reading about an artefact from a module three perspective. The idea of a jigsaw puzzle sounds great! I feel like from module one I've been slowly gathering pieces of information and piecing them together, just like you do a jigsaw. Thank you!
    Alys

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on a fantastic presentation this morning. I really enjoyed it.
    Very clear and concise.
    The artefact was very clever.
    Well done
    Best wishes
    Lois

    ReplyDelete

Artefacts - Skype Call 20/04

As this was a module 3 focused Skype call we spoke about  a few things that were concerning us as we near the deadline date. The two main th...