Monday, March 23, 2020

Should We Be Creating More 'Autism Friendly' Shows?

Whilst doing literature research into my inquiry topic of exploring the relationship between theatre and the social skills of children with Autism, I came across this incredibly interesting article of how some Broadway musicals have been adapted to suit an audience on the spectrum and their families.

These slight adaptations include lowering the frequency of the sound, slightly lifting the brightness of the lights and having someone 'brief' the audience before the show of any 'surprises' that may trigger the audience members. Fidget toys are encouraged for the audience as well as allowing them to make as much noise as they would like. Ushers trained in diverse audiences are available to help in any way throughout the show - even having a designated 'quiet' room where children feeling overwhelmed in any way can escape to if need be.This in no way changes the script as the aim is to maintain the integrity of the show. The audience will not feel that they are seeing anything 'less-than' what their neuro-typical peers have seen.

I think this is a wonderful idea and a fantastic opportunity for families to enjoy a theatre experience without fear of being judged or overwhelming the child with autism. I hope that it could become the norm for all theaters to offer something similar as often as possible to give more people access to the arts.

This has really got me to thinking. Should more shows and theaters be offering 'autism-friendly' performances? Is it feasible for them to do so? Do children with autism and their families want this to happen or is a trip to the theatre too overwhelming? How can I, as someone labeled 'neuro-typical' decide that this is the right thing to do when I have no lived-experience of having autism?

 I would love to pass the question off to you - do you think theaters should offer more 'autism-friendly' shows?

Here is the link to the article of you are interested in reading.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/04/making-theater-autism-friendly/388348/




5 comments:

  1. Hi Cath, I found this post very insightful, although I am not in the same module as you, it struck an interest with me.

    The details such as lowering the frequency of the sound, slightly lifting the brightness of the lights etc, would seem insignificant to me, yet could completely change the experience of someone with Autism watching the show. I agree with you that it is a "wonderful idea and a fantastic opportunity for families".

    I will definitely take a look at the linked article.
    Best wishes
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lauren, I completely agree that these subtle technical changes may seem insignificant to some but allows others to participate in theatre where they couldn't before. Perhaps one day this could become the standard for all shows and not just special designated ones.

      Delete
  2. Hi Cath,
    I found this really interesting as I have worked a lot with autistic children. Some love the lights and sounds and others really don't. I definitely think as an industry it is something we should look at. Shows can be an amazing way for children with autism to access information but its getting the understanding between what can be too overwhelming and what can be useful.
    Thank you!
    Alys

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Alys, I agree that it is something that we should be looking into. I think it would be wonderful if these subtle changes would be the president for all shows to open up for a more diverse audience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cathleen, this is a really interesting point. When I did panto a few years ago we did a few 'relaxed shows' which were aimed at those with autism and special needs! I think it's a great idea to make theatre all inclusive. I must admit thought, as a performer, it was quite off putting because the audience were loud. Nevertheless, it is a challenge and makes you a stronger performer.

    ReplyDelete

Artefacts - Skype Call 20/04

As this was a module 3 focused Skype call we spoke about  a few things that were concerning us as we near the deadline date. The two main th...